Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Beware of Christians!

Website: bewareofchristians.com
It is "a movie about leaving religion to follow Jesus"

How about that! Anyway, I watched the movie a while ago and took some notes. Here are those notes...

What happens when we give up on religion and try following Jesus? (and what does that look like? in a day to day aspect, what does it look like to give up religion and follow Jesus?)

An observation: we (Christians) are just as crazy about worldly stuff as everyone else. (obviously this is a generalization, but those do come from the general trend of things. So I think it is worth considering.)

Why don't we ask older people who have been through it before? (when it comes to getting through tough situations and handling things we aren't sure about; why do we go to others who are still trying to figure things out, instead of those who at least have the benefit of hindsight? I think the reason is pride/selfishness.)

If physical intimacy is for marriage, how can we have a physical relationship (and feel ok about it)? (also, what does it mean to have a physical relationship?)

Jesus didn't come to establish a new religion, He came to establish the Kingdom of God. (I think this is a big one that nearly everyone looks over at some point or another.)

What is our role, as Christians, to the poor? --> You wouldn't let your friend be cold or starving or thirsty, would you?

What does it look like to put Jesus in the parts of our lives that we are trying to keep Him out of?

[As Christians, we should be] living for something much bigger than [our own lives/happiness]. (the thing I actually wrote was "we're living for something much bigger than ourselves." but I think some explaining is helpful)

And then a bunch of Bible verses that, if I remember correctly, gave a rough outline of the different parts of the movie: Acts 2:42, Luke 12:34, Jeremiah 17:9, 1 John 2:15, 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5

And lastly: (I wrote this on top of a t-shirt design because I ran out of room on the flyer the gave us) Would you say that [insert name of person here] is not a Christian because of their actions?
Likewise, would someone looking at your life say that you aren't a Christian based on your actions?

One of my former Bible study leaders liked to give the analogy that the Bible is like a mirror. As we look into it, it shows us a reflection of who we are and where we are flawed. However, if you try to use the Bible to look at other people, it doesn't work that way; the reflection gets distorted because that is not how its supposed to be used. Does that make sense? He can explain it a lot better than I can.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." -Jesus (Matthew 7:1-5)

2 comments:

  1. In case you were wondering, I ask these questions to myself just as much (and most of the time even more so) to you (the reader) as I do to myself. I wrestle with these things, and I hope you wrestle with them too. I'm not intending to put anyone down or anything like that; I want to encourage everyone (myself included) to have a deeper relationship with God. I think this includes reflecting on that relationship and thinking about how it can be better, or where it is weak. But, I digress. I hope you enjoy the blog, and, as always, feel free to leave a comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this video on youtube about the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkQongy4Mls&feature=youtu.be

    I was there for this one!!

    ReplyDelete